List Of Continents Name in the World: Our planet earth is divided into two parts i.e. land and water. Whereas 71% of the total surface area of the earth consists of water in the form of oceans and the remaining 29% consists of land. The land part of the earth consists of continents and islands. Hence, the large landmasses of the earth are called continents.
The topic 7 continents of the world is important for General Knowledge. The total landmass of the Earth consists of seven continents of varying proportions. The 7 continents are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia. The largest continent is Asia and smallest continent is Australia.
List of Continents With their Population and Area
|Continent||Population (2020)||Area (km2)|
List Of Continents Name in the World
01. Asia:- The largest continent in the world is Asia, covers one-third of the landmass of the earth. It exists in the Eastern Hemisphere. It is home to Russia, the world’s largest country, as well as China and India, the world’s two most populous countries. The Mount Everest is located in Asia. It is the birthplace of many faiths such as Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, and Christianity. The total population of this continent is about 4,641,054,775.
02. Africa:- It is the second largest continent in the world, covers about 20% of the total landmass of the earth. It is also the second most populous continent with a population of 1,340,598,147. Africa is home to the world’s longest river, the Nile, and the world’s largest desert, the Sahara. Ethiopia, the world’s hottest country, is located in Africa. It is the world’s largest chocolate producing continent and it also has the world’s largest diamond mines.
03. Europe:- Third Continents Name in the World, Europe, which is surrounded by three water bodies; in the north, it is the Arctic Ocean; in the west, it is the Atlantic Ocean, and in the south Mediterranean Sea. There are has fifty independent countries with a population of 747,636,026. It is the continent with the longest rail route. The Vatican City, the world’s tiniest country, is located in Europe.
04. North America:- North America is the only continent with five time zones and each type of climate. Canada and the United States, which are the largest countries in this continent, occupy 75% of its total area. North America is home to lake Superior, the largest freshwater lakes in the world. Mississippi River (3778 km) is the third longest river in the world. There are 23 countries with a population of 592,072,212.
05. South America:- Fifth Continents Name in the World, South America, has a total population of 430,756,766. The River Amazon, the world’s largest river by volume, is part of South America. Angel Falls, the tallest waterfall in the world, is found on this continent. One of the world’s largest snakes, Anaconda is also found in the continent. The world’s highest (3800 m) and the largest lake of South America is Titicaca. The largest country of South America, Brazil is world’s largest coffee producer.
06. Australia:- Australia is the world’s smallest continent and is also referred to as the “island continent” because it is surrounded by sea. There are only 3 countries in Australia including New Zealand and Papua New Guinea with a population of 43,111,704. Canberra is the capital of the country.
07. Antarctica:- Seventh Continents Name in the World, Antarctica, which is the coldest region on Earth and occupies nearly 14.2 million square kilometers area. It contains 75% of the world’s ice and 70% of the freshwater. It is covered with snow throughout the year; That is why it is called the white continent. The climate of this continent is unfavorable for human habitation so there is no population. It is the home for the penguins.